What Is Heartburn?
Simply put, heartburn is an uncomfortable burning sensation behind the breastbone1. This sensation starts from the stomach or lower chest and rises up the esophagus and may reach toward the throat23. Sound familiar?
What Causes Heartburn?
When you eat, food travels down your esophagus - or food pipe - and enters your stomach via the lower esophageal sphincter (LES)4.
Normally this is a one-way process. However if this valve relaxes or doesn’t close completely, your stomach acid can flow the...
Unsure what your heartburn symptoms have to do with acid reflux? Think of it like this: Acid reflux is the name for what happens when your stomach acid travels up to your esophagus, and heartburn is one of the symptoms you may experience as a result89. Some acid reflux is a normal part of digestion, and it won’t always cause heartburn10.
There is also a close connection between heartburn symptoms and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), as it is usually known, is a broad term applied to patients with symptoms...
How To Treat Heartburn
Just because you’re prone to heartburn doesn’t mean you have to stop enjoying your favourite foods. Did you know that something as simple as changing your posture could have a positive impact?
This is just one of the tactics you can try to beat the burn. In fact, there is a lot you can do throughout the day to relieve...
- 1 http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthtopics/content.asp?hwid=hrtbn (link is external)
- 2 Victor Wong, PharmD
- 3http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17275400 (link is external)
- 4http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthtopics/content.asp?hwid=stl158005#stl158005-sec (link is external)
- 5http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthtopics/content.asp?hwid=stl158005#stl158005-sec (link is external)
- 6https://www.pepcid.ca/all-about-heartburn (link is external)
- 7https://www.pepcid.ca/all-about-heartburn (link is external)
- 8http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthtopics/content.asp?hwid=hrtbn#hw95432 (link is external)
- 9http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/146619.php#what_is_acid_reflux (link is external)
- 10http://umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/gastroesophageal-reflux-disease-and-heartburn (link is external)
- 11http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthtopics/content.asp?hwid=hw142353#hw142353-sec (link is external)